Richmond International Raceway, one of my home tracks being from southern Maryland. It’s always a great feeling when you get the chance to perform so close to home with your family and friends there for your support. The race weekend had a lot of ups and downs so let me tell you all about it.


Thanks to car owners Carl Long & Derek White, I was given the opportunity to run my 3rd race of the season. It put a smile on my face because that race was Richmond. I’ve already told you how cool it is to race in front of a home town crowd but that’s not the only reason I like this place. If you have ever watched a race at Richmond, you know how great the racing is. Typical short track racing at its finest. So lets just say I was stoked going into this weekend.


Practice, Qualifying, and the race would all be in the same day this weekend setting up a long day. So lets start at the beginning. Practice started right at the sunrise. When I fired the engine and hit the track I already knew we were going to have a great weekend. The car drove really good right off the hauler putting us 20th on the speed charts for the beginning of practice. We continued throughout our only 2.5 hour practice making the car better and man did I have a great feeling about the race. We eventually fell back to 32nd in practice due to not making a qualifying run but that didn’t worry us.


As focus shifted into qualifying, we slapped tape on the grill, put 4 tires on, and we were ready to lay a lap down. The new qualifying format is really neat in the fact that there is 3 rounds of qualifying. We put down a speed of 121.163 which we thought would bump us to the next round. Unfortunately we just missed the cut my a tenth of a second which would have us roll off in the 27th starting position.


The race! The green flag dropped for the ToyotaCare 250 and we started making moves early. Within the first 5 laps of the race, we had already picked up a few spots moving us into the top 25. I radioed in to the pit crew and was extremely happy with the race car. I set my sights in on the cars ahead of me as I looked to continue bettering our night. However troubles would strike us early… as on lap 25 of the race it appeared we were losing power and apparent we dropped a cylinder. Sometimes you can ride these issues out as a plug wire may have come off(which is an easy fix on pit road). However that was not the case as just 6 laps later the engine expired on us ending our night very early.


The night was very disappointing for me. It hurts to know that we could have very easily earned a great finish but something out of our control took us out. But all in all, I was very happy to be behind the wheel at Richmond in front of my friends and family. My drive wont stop as there is always the next race. I would like to give a big thanks to Braille Battery and GRAFOID for being on the car this weekend and supporting the #13 race team. Thanks everyone, will have my next race to announce soon!